Sunday, November 13, 2011

Change of Plans


Remember from our last post that PJ was getting 2 MRI's and x-rays on Friday?  Well, plans changed.  About mid-week I got a call from the nurse at the hospital that they do the MRI's at.  She began to tell me what the whole process entailed.  She told me that he would be under anesthesia for at least 2 hours and that we would have to be admited overnight for observation.  Remember, PJ is only 6 weeks old and has already undergone surgery the second day of his life.  After the nurse told me that it would be at least 2 hours he would be under, I just didn't feel right about it.  Also, these MRI's aren't medically necessary at the moment, they were ordered just for the dr. to see, basically to get a baseline of where PJ is at.  Right after I got off the phone with the nurse, I called our go-to nurse in San Fran, the nurse practicioner for Dr. Gupta, to see what she thought.  She proceeded to tell me that they have never been a fan of MRI's on newborns and she didn't find it medically necessary to do them right now. PHEW!  I was so relieved to hear that.  She also said because we are monitoring PJ's hydrocephalus so closely with the possiblity of a shunt soon (he would be under anesthesia again) that it just wouldn't be good for PJ.  So, Mitch was on the phone the next morning with the Reno hospital and cancelled those appts.  There is just something about that mommy-intuition that God gives women when something isn't right for their child.  I'm sure that all of the moms out there know exactly what I am talking about!
We had already reserved our hotel in Reno for the night and planned on taking Daniel to monster trucks...well, Mitch and Daniel were going together while PJ and I hung out in the hotel.  We decided to keep our reservation and go anyway.  We needed some family time together and we figured that this would be fun for Mitch and Daniel to do together.  But, OF COURSE, Daniel had to come down with an aweful cold the day before.  He was still set on going to see monster trucks and so we thought that we would just go for it.  The drive to Reno consisted of "Daniel, COVER YOUR MOUTH!"  I think I said that about a million times!  That boy gets the worst cough when he is sick.  I felt like we were in an airplane where you don't get any air circulation.  I had to stop thinking about it because I was getting paranoid about PJ getting sick.  PJ's carseat was covered with a big blanket the whole way down to Reno! ha!  The following pictures are about all Mitch was able to capture during the monster truck show before Daniel had a meltdown and said that he missed me and wanted to come to the hotel.  See for yourself.


Could he look more excited?

Of course he had to get a picture by the Bounty Hunter!  He was able to muster up a little smile.  


 Here he is, about 10-20 minutes later...out like a light.  Mitch said there was even some drool!

Poor guy just didn't feel good!  They weren't even able to stay long enough for the opening acts to be done and for the monster trucks to do their stunts!  I felt so bad for him.  Our night to follow was an interesting one.  PJ woke up at about 1am to eat and so that meant everyone woke up because it's quite the ordeal.  Daniel woke up with a fever of 101 as well.  Oh my.  What were we thinking going to Reno!  The fever was nothing a little tylenol couldn't fix.  Finally, after we all went back to bed, we were all able to get some rest.  Daniel woke up feeling a lot better, but still coughing. 
Even though Daniel was sick on our little trip, we all had a really great time spending our time together as a family.  The past trips that Mitch and I have taken haven't included Daniel because they just couldn't, so it was really nice to be together and not have to be in a hurry to get to a dr. appt or get home because we missed Daniel.  We just took our time, it was great.  Not to mention all of the Christmas decorations all over Reno!  Now if that doesn't get you in the Christmas spirit!  We even bought the new Michael Buble Christmas album! Don't worry, it's still in the plastic.  I'm trying to wait until Thanksgiving to turn it on!  I don't know though...I might just have to make sure it works ;-)

No comments: