Monday, September 26, 2011

Longest Trip of my life, Seriously!

Good morning everyone, its MITCHELL! This is my first time writing the blog. As Minnesota talk radio callers said, "long time listener, first time caller." That's me. As I think most of you would agree Heather has done an amazing job. Ok, now that introductions are out of the way I'll get on to what people want to hear about... our trip.
I'm gonna do this timeline style so you get a feel for how long it really was. Around 8ish we went to Heather's parent's house to drop Daniel off. (They'll join up with us here in San Fran on Friday.) After a tearful goodbye to our little buddy we were off. It was a fun trip because we were able to talk a lot about how life is going to change. For the good of course. We're so excited for PJ. Heather pointed out that the next time we're home we'll have a new addition. So exciting!
Ok, back to the timeline... around 0945 hrs or so we were in Lovelock, NV. There is a gas station that we usually stop at to strech our legs, for heather, and use the restroom, that's for me ;). Did I mention Heather's parents loaned us their Honda Pilot. It was very generous of them and we are so appreciative. It's perfect for San Fran. Last time we were here we checked the height of the parking garage and there is some debate as to whether or not our truck would have fit. That aside a smaller car in San Fran traffic is a nice change.
Ok, back to the timeline. Sorry for the rabbit trails... I distinctly remember, as I got back on I-80, Heather saying do we need to gas up. I told Heather that I thought we were ok. We had a quarter of a tank left and 59 miles to go. Let's just say that not listening to my lovely, all knowing, wife was a BIG MISTSAKE!
Around 10ish we found ourselves running low on gas and had only went about 30 miles or so. Now Heather took initiative and began reading the owners manual to see how many miles we could go when the light comes on, but before we get empty. Unfortunately, the manual didn't tell us that. However, it did tell us that if we ran the car completely out of gas it could ruin the catalytic converter. Not wanting to ruin the car my father-in-law lent me, we pulled over. Little did I know that exit was going to be our home for a little over two hours.
Praise the Lord for the network that is the Law Enforcement brotherhood. Sort of. Around 1030ish I called the Humboldt County Dispatch and had them transfer me to the Churchill County Dispatch Center. Marci the dispatcher said that she would call NHP and send someone out. To Heather's credit, she didn't hit me, didn't yell, and oh yeah didn't talk for a little while. I felt terrible because driving and grilling are the two things that guys are born able to do. I just failed at one of them. After lots of akward silences and almost an hour passing I decided to call Marci back. I asked her for an ETA on NHP and she said that he went to another call and if he could he would come help us. She wasn't to happy with that and said that she would call the Watch Commander in the neighboring county.
A little while later, a Lyon County Sheriff's Deputy came out. The Watch Commander himself no less. Sgt. Johnny was one of the nicest guys I've ever come accross. Not only did Sgt. Johnny leave his beat, and county he did something he didn't have to do. Sgt. Johnny gave Heather and I a ride to the gas station in Fernely, NV. As it turns out we were 16 miles shy of our desitnation when we pulled over. (For all of you wondering... I did sit in the back of the cop car. No, its not my first time. I do it at work when we need to shuffle cars and guys around. The only thing that makes them uncomfortable is that they were designed with Tom Cruise's 5'7'' frame not my 6'3'' frame. I have to sit sideways.)
Sorry I'm getting distracted again. I'm always to detail heavy, sorry Heather. So after Sgt. Johnny returned us to our vehicle and we were on our way.
Now 2 hrs behind we pulled into Reno for lunch. Red Robin of course. I love their burgers. Now that we and the car were fueled up we were back on the road. The California hills rolled as one city after another passed by. Books on Tape help break up the monotony, much to Heather's chagrin.
Finally after many hours of driving, and two discs, we were approaching our destination and passed through the Bay Bridge. This is actually not the Bay Bridge. This is a prettier more iconic bridge just after the Bay Bridge. :) We made it!
Once we found our hotel and checked in we had to get down to business... finding a Chipotle. We went to the nearby Foster City and ate our fill. With our bellies full and bodies exhausted it was time to sleep.
All in all it was approximately 11 hrs from start to sleep. What a day! Without a doubt the longest trip I've ever taken to San Fran. Regardless of the time it took to get here we had fun and we are safe and sound. Most importantly Heather and PJ are safe and sound. I can't wait to meet this wonderful blessing.

Well I don't know how I did on my first attempt at a blog but we'll see if I'm invited back to guest blog again. Until next time...
Mitchell

7 comments:

vanessa said...

very cute mitch.

Elizabeth said...

WHOA! what a trip, so excited to hear more :) keep us posted!

fettic said...

Mitch you did a great job on the blog!!! Daniel was at school with his beautiful smile on his face. Let me know if you need anything checked on or done. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Crystal said...

Mitch you did a great job, you and Heather both are great writers! Praying for your family daily! Glad you made it safe and sound,
God Bless you all!

Jen Anderson said...

I totally read this entire thing in your voice. It was seriously like you were standing there telling me this story. You write how you talk, which is awesome!! Not many people can do that, and do it well. And as long as the day was, at least you got a fun story out of it to tell PJ when he is older. Silver linings and all that.

Barbie said...

Mitch,
Thank you Thank you I love details. I think I might need to go to Chipotle in honor of you all :) love you Barbie

Barbie said...

I need to fill my tank at Costco first....