Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Updates!

Heather here!  I thought that I would do a little update while Mitch is on the phone with his mom.  It's time I take a break anyways.  Taking a shower sure does a number on ya!

Here's a pic of PJ before his surgery


Daniel checking on baby brother.  He was so excited to see him today.

One rare shot of him opening his eyes...even if it's just one.

Couple hours after surgery...totally zonked.

Made it all the way down there and he's sleeping...we'll go back later tonight!
PJ got his surgery today around noon and we finally heard from the pediatric nuerosurgeon around 2:30.  Everything went well.  They were able to repair his back w/o having to call in plastics having to intervene with doing a skin patch.  Now, we wait.  They are monitoring his ventricles closely now because now is the time that things would increase and could get worse.  They'll do an ultrasound on his head at the end of the week to get more accurate measurements.  Also, his right foot is clubbed if you haven't noticed from the pictures.  This is something that is totally repairable with progressive castings and something that we can deal with.  It's just hard to see.  But just looking at that chunky face makes everything so much better!  He is SO precious.  The nurses keep telling me that he knows my voice because he settles down when I finally am able to get to the ICN (Intensive Care Nursery).  He actually opened his eyes for the first time for his mama last night ;-)  We are waiting for the nurses to call us so I can try to breastfeed! I am so excited!  I haven't held him yet.  I can barely contain my excitement!!  It won't be the usual cradle hold, but ANYTHING will do for me!  I've been enjoying caressing his head and back though. 
Last night was another story for me though.  Around 11pm they said that I could try getting up.  I stood by the bed and that's all I could do.  It was too painful, plus I almost passed out.  Needless to say, the hormones kicked in and I think I scared Mitch with all my blubbering. I was just really looking forward to seeing PJ and I was just so disapointed.  We slept a few hours last night and I finally was able to walk a little bit this morning around 6:30 I walked halfway to ICN and got wheeled the rest of the way.  But, man, was it worth it!  The rest of the day, things have gotten a little easier, but I am trying not to do too much because I know I'll regret it.  But I feel like I am making good improvements.  Hopefully tomorrow is even better!
Here's a video for your viewing pleasure:

Thanks for all your prayers.  Of course we will continue updating the blog.  We appreciate each and every one of you. 

8 comments:

Jen Anderson said...

Thanks for the update! I am so excited to meet this precious little guy who has already touched so many lives! I've had sooo many people ask about you both and PJ and how you're all doing (in fact, you're on the record at today's city council meeting!) There are a lot of people back home praying for you guys and thinking of you. Much love!! Can't wait to see you in a few days!!!! Talk to you soon!

vanessa said...

Mitch and Heather,
I tried calling the hospital just now. I wanted to say that we are so excited to have another cousin in the family! Matthew and I have been praying for PJ. Will too. We've been praying for you guys and Daniel too! I love the pictures of PJ ... what a cutie pie! Talk to you soon.
Love,
Kim, Will, Matthew and Joshua Hunn
Ness too!

Madison, The Waldie's said...

Thank you guys for keeping us updated on our new little friend. I cannot tell you how excited I am to meet him. :) We love you all so much, give Daniel a hug for me:) Praying faithfully:)

Anonymous said...

Mitch and Heather, You are in our thoughts and prayers. It is awesome to see PJ. I know that God is continuing to work healing and health in Him. He is a beautiful BIG boy but looks so much like his brother. Hold fast to God's promises. Pro 3:5&6. We love you all! Nate and Patti

Barbie said...

Mitch and Heather,
Wow, what a beautiful boy. So big! Keep up the great attitudes. Thank the Lord for the Lord:) You can do all things with Christ who strengthens you. We will keep praying for you all. What a wonderful blessing this new baby PJ will be. Thank you. I love the blog. The video is wonderful. It makes me feel like I am there. Wish we could visit. Some day soon. Congrats and love to you all. Barbie Mark Greta and Hayden.

The Albrecht's said...

So glad you are feeling ok Heather! Those C-Sections kinda take it out of ya huh?! But it's all worth it just to have that little boy finally here!! What a blessing from above! Thanks for posting the video too! So excited you get to finally hold him! Keep the updates coming! I check about 3 times a day!! :) Love you guys!

Amber

Crystal said...

This brought tears of joy to my eyes, what a precious little angel. God has certainly bestowed many blessings on your family! I know he will continue to work in your lives. Lisa sends her congratulations and thank you so much for sharing the pictures and the video.
Sending lots of love and prayers your way.
Take care,
Crystal & Jim

Elizabeth said...

didn't notice his sweet little foot-his rolls are waaaaay to cute and distracting! :D such a lovie